Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Let This Be Your Time to Shine, Not Die:

A Frank Discussion About Underage Drunk Driving

 

With my heading being an obvious kill joy (no pun intended), please don't disregard my heed as pointless.  I am not a member of MADD or SADD or even any other group trying to promote this cause.  I am simply a mother of 3 with one that is graduating high school. 

 I am not so old that I cannot remember this time of year for me many years ago.  I can remember the pressures are strong to want to fit in and try to pretend you are a grown up.  I cannot say that I ever drank and drive at this age, but I can relate.  You think you are invincible at this age, your whole life is ahead of you and you have plenty of time to be responsible later.  Sometimes later just never comes.

 Let's look at some statistics.   My frank part of this discussion is in talking to the parents.  I know it is tempting to say "hey they are 18, let them make their own mistakes".  Because I will admit it, you're tired after parenting these guys after 18 years and you would really like to just be done and send them on their way.  Would you believe that 71% of these teens drink at an their home without adult supervision.  The next best place is at a friend's home without the parents present at 65%.  I am totally aware that you cannot be at home all the time to supervise.  In a study on www.centurycouncil.org, parents and teens agree that they get most alcohol from family and friends.  

 Studies also show that parents are the biggest contributing factor to whether kids drink or not.  Parents are talking much more openly about alcohol and it's dangers to their children.  Which obviously is a good thing.   I know this seems obvious to parents that there children should know the dangers of drinking and driving, but with parenting nothing should be assumed.  


Let your child know the dangers and consequences of them being with others that are drinking and driving.  Let them know your expectations about how to handle that situation.  And most importantly, tell them if they get stuck in a situation, call home no matter what.  They might be in trouble, but it's better to be grounded than in the hospital or worse.

This happened in Florida in the early am-these guys were drunk and on their way to get McDonald's after a night of drinking.  5 of the 6 perished.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment